An Extensive List Of Things I've Done

Mar 7, 2012

Marching Orders!!!

What a dumb Post Title for the first post of March.  What a great way to start an entry:  with a judgment!  We're off to a really encouraging start.

Obligatory Minnesota weather talk:  HOLY SHIT IT WAS 60 DEGREES YESTERDAY.  Actually, I remember when I was visiting Douche Canoe in March of 2007, there was an 83 degree day.  I also came prepared with nothing but a light jacket and sweaters and was astoundingly comfortable the entire time.  Probably because I was usually naked in bed?  Shudders.

But, yeah, yesterday was a gorgeous day that I got to LOOK at through the window that does not open in my office at the day job.  Yippee!  As I was walking home from the bus stop around 6pm,  these two dudes in a long classic car bumpin' some bass did receive an enthusiastic "raise the roof" gesture from yours truly (I still do that, yes... or am I BRINGING IT BACK?), and in return, they totally jacked up the hydraulics for me:  ZZZZZT  ZZZZZZT ZZT ZT ZZZZZZT!!  Spring is HERE, y'alls!!  (cue: next week's weather, a blizzard).

March 2012.  We made it, friends, the last March ever.  Have I made a boring, tired 2012 comment here yet?  Yes?  Well, I guess you've found my thing then.

This month is particularly exciting for a few reasons.  First, I'm performing a story (the one about my cousin) at a Nerd Convention on Saturday (which has such a crappy website for a nerd convention - the type against that background looks like a fresh tattoo.  Ouch).

Then, I'm emceeing the Pro-Choice Resources Bowl-A-Thon which is two Abortion-tastic nights at my other house, Bryant Lake Bowl!  (There will not be any abortions provided, but I guarantee you, there will be a lot of sluts not holding aspirin between their knees).  (Wait - there will also not be any sex.  It's just going to be a bunch of pro-choicers raising money for women's health care, M'kay???)

THEN, I'm judging the Minnesota Beard-Off for the THIRD year in a row!  And it's going to be at FIRST AVE, which may or may not be the only time I ever make it onto the mainstage.

THEEEEEN, I am, along with a few other performers, doing what I think might be the first and only reading so far in Minneapolis of Mike Daisey's The Agony & Ecstasy of Steve Jobs.  I don't know if you've heard of this man or his show, but Mike Daisey is an awesome monologuist a la Spalding Gray and he has, like, 12 solo shows he's "written" (he just goes on stage with an outline and talks).  This particular show, about the actual people who put together our HAVE TO HAVE IT gadgets, i.e., iAnything, has actually prompted Apple to be more transparent in their labor practices, etc, because of THIS SHOW.  This is like a solo performer's WET DREAM, to have the large company they're calling to the carpet actually DO something about whatever shitty thing they're being called to the carpet for.  Anyway, we're doing the show because Daisey gave it away for anyone to adapt, perform, read, etc!  Here it is!  You can do it too!  But not in Minneapolis till about May, m'kay?   Look, Mike even screenshot & put on his blog a note from one of our cast put on his Facebook wall!  And then I screenshot THAT and put it on MY blog!   I heart you, computers!



So, that's rad.  And then, The Curls and I are playing some shows coming up too.  More on that later.

I wish there was a find & replace for capitalized words.  I would like all these worlds to be lowercase now.  Oh well.  Next entry.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it short or get your own blog.